Address: 91002, 9-A Karl Liebknecht Street, Luhansk
Official web-site: www.kambrod.lg.ua
Modern Kam’yanobridsky rayon occupies the territory of 2 994 hectares, with13 499 houses located on it. The number of streets, lanes and blind alleys is 240 with a total length of 170 km, among which 98.2 km are those with hard surface. There are 2 parks, Lenin Garden, 3 squares with the total square of 112.8 hectares.
Relief of the district is mountainous. The district has marl soils. The Luhan River (9.9 km) flows on the territory of the district. The square along its bank line is 73.6 km.
The district borders on Leninsky, Artemivsky, and Zhovtnevy rayons of Luhansk and Slov’yanoserbsk rayon of Luhansk oblast.
Population, its national and social background
Kam’yanobridsky rayon of Luhansk is an industrial district with the population of 41 106 people. The district is distinguished by difficult demographical situation. Its population is decreasing annually, thus the process of depopulation (systematic decrease of the population of the district) is taking place. The population consists of the following nationalities: Russians – 54.2%; Ukrainians – 41.8%; Jews – 1.1%; Byelorussians – 1%; Armenians – 0.2%, others – 2.7%.
Kam’yany Brid is one of the oldest settled places in Luhansk oblast. According to historical documents, in 1 753 with permission of the Empress Elizaveta Petrivna, settlement of the place by a great number of immigrants (Serbians, Croats, Moldavians, Bulgarians) was begun. With an aim to make a protection line “from the Bakhmut to the Luhan”, foot and horse regiments organized settlements called companies. The government settlement Kam’yany Brid was the 10th company, and the area got the name of Slov’yanoserbia due to the name of Slov’yanoserbsk hussar regiment. The church called in honour of St. Peter and St. Paul is dated as being built in 1761, and the central street was called Peter and Paul Street.
From the time of foundation of Luhansk foundry in 1795-1796 Kam’yany Brid became a settlement for the workers of the plant. According to “Materials for historical and statistic description of Ekaterinoslav Eparchy” of 1880, it becomes evident that “… the village Kam’yany Brid on the Luhan River is populous, with rich population”.
In fact, there were about 1 000 stone houses, and more than 200 wooden houses owned by private individuals before 1861 in Kam’yany Brid. The fullest development of Kam’yany Brid began after September 1882, when the village called "Luhansk Factory" got the status of a town and the name of Luhansk, and Kam’yany Brid, in its turn, became its integral part.
With the start of construction of Hartman Machine-Building Plant (1896-1906) and the railroad which connected Luhansk with Millerove station, the lifestyle of Kam’yany Brid changed Industrial production was rapidly developing: private brick factories, State Wine Warehouse (1896); Luhansk Textile Mill (1905); Demydov Soap Factory (1906), whose relatives still live in Kam’yany Brid, were opened.
After the revolution of 1917 in Luhansk, like throughout the whole Russian Empire, the Power of Soviets was established. According to archival reference, on 1 February, 1923 at the Congress of Soviets of Workers, Peasants and Red Army Deputies temporary Kam’yany Brid Executive Committee was elected, and on November 13, permanent Executive Committee was elected at the District Congress of Soviets. At that time nine village councils (Olexandrivsk, Velyka Verhunka, Mala Verhunka, Veselohoriv, Yelizavetiv, Kam'yany Brid, Peter, Raev, Hristos village councils) were submitted to the Executive Committee. On the whole, it included 58 settlements.
During the Great Patriotic War the district stayed 212 days under occupation. Like throughout the whole country, the war was like a devastating hurricane to Kam’yany Brid. Houses were destroyed, bridges connecting parts of the district were damaged; schools, hospitals and industrial buildings were destroyed partially or fully. The machine park of the industrial enterprises of the district was evacuated to the Central Asia, Siberia, and the Urals.
The period of after-occupation reconstruction began in February 1943. Within 5 years (1943 to 1948) the district was rebuilt and the volume of its industrial output exceeded the prewar one.
Large-scale construction in the district began in the 1950s. From March 1955, within 18 years 6 dormitories, 4 kindergartens, a nursery, a children’s complex of kindergartens for 280 places in Lenin Square, a boarding school; school # 28, a music school for 200 children; a gym at school # 3 were built in the district; a railway hospital for 120 beds was built and equipped, a surgery building for 120 beds in hospital #4 and a maternity home were opened, where 1110 children were born in 1970 (including 907 residents of Kam’yany Brid), a commercial and residential complex in Lenin Square and a store in the railway station area were commissioned, a bus station and an administrative building for the railway station, a cinema in the village of Kirovka were built; and a high water reinforced concrete bridge near the brewery was constructed. A lot of dwelling was built at that time too, the volume of which is difficult to count.
Development of utility infrastructure is a promising tradition for the district. In 2004, the problem of construction of a bridge across the Luhan River in Bohdanovsky lane, which was considered dangerous, was solved. Construction of the bridge was completed in December 2004 for the funds provided by the State Investment Fund.
In November 2004, the reconstruction of the house down 145 Vesolohorovska Street was completed. 22 families received flats in a reconstructed building according to a town housing queue. 1 million hryvnyas from the state fund for support of regional investment projects was spent on reconstruction.
The past and the present of Kam’yany Brid are strongly connected with the enterprises located in its territory, employing its residents, through which the district budget is replenished.
For the 250th anniversary of the district the first volume of historical essays "Kam’yany Brid" by the historians Y.Temnyk and Y.Yeherev was published, which was the most complete description of the history of the district.