Official site of lugansk city council  
Luhansk Master Plan
Charter of Luhansk Territorial Community
Public Chamber under Luhansk City Council
Our city
Appeals of Citizens

Центр административных услуг в Луганске









Zhovtnevy District of Luhansk

Legal address: 91005; 14-A 31 Block, Luhansk


Telephone (reception):+380642491624, fax +380642530208

Telephone (duty officer): +380642492255


Zhovtnevy district is the largest in size and population district in Luhansk. Its population is about 197 thousand people and its area is more than 144 sq. km. There are 386 streets, 777 multistoried apartment houses of municipal property and departmental subordination and more than 18 thousand houses of private sector with about 75 thousand people living in them. Shchastya town is in its territorial and administrative subordination.


For the first time Oktyabrsky district, now Zhovtnevy district, is mentioned in the documents by organising committee of Supreme Soviet of Ukrainian Soviet Socialistic Republic in Voroshilovgrad oblast on 16 August, 1939. A new administrative and territorial unit was a starting point to create a local authority of the District Soviet and its Executive Committee. The first session and the first sitting of the executive committee took place in September 1939.


At that time there were only two big industrial enterprises: Locomotive Plant of October Revolution (now PJSC Luhanskteplovoz) and a Textile Factory (now Gloria Jeans Public Corporation), two agrarian enterprises: 8th March State Farm and Zaytsev State Farm, several small plants including a Gypsum Plant, a Plant of Voroshilovgrad Mine-Rescue Division, a Slag Stone Plant, a Haulage Company, Shterov Electrical Sub-Station, a Tram Park, some mechanical workshops etc.


One of the largest health-care institutions was a City Hospital #2, which started working yet in October 1921. Until 1948, this medical establishment was called Voroshilovgrad Hospital for Traumatic and Reparative Surgery. 17 doctors and the only one traumatic surgery department of the hospital provided services for the citizens of Zhovtnevy and Kam’yanobridsky districts.


Higher technical education was established by opening of Luhansk Evening Working Technical School, from which 16 first technologists for steam-locomotive-building and metallurgy graduated in 1925.


In 1930s the foundations for leisure and cultural rest of the citizens were established in the district. In these years the Lenin Center for Culture of Locomotive Plant of October Revolution was built in Rosa Luxemburg Square. Its auditorium was intended for 1 400 viewers, its lecture hall had 200 places and up to 50 plant workers could seat in its reading hall. Its library had more than 25 thousand books. Its cozy studios and classrooms provided all conditions for amateur talent groups, choreography, choral singing and applied arts.


In pre-war years on the wasteland of today’s Khersonska Street, the building of the settlement for October Revolution Plant was launched, where cadre steam-locomotive-builders built their own houses or received state-owned dwelling.


In 1945, Vatutin district of Voroshilovgrad was separated from Oktyabrsky district, which existed a little more than 5 years as a separate administrative unit.


According to the Decree of the President of Supreme Soviet of Ukrainian Soviet Socialistic Republic from 01 July 1957, Vatutin and Oktyabrsky districts of Voroshilovgrad were united in one administrative unit named Oktyabrsky district.


In the years of after-war five year plans new industrial enterprises were actively put in. The range of products with Voroshilovgrad marking increased greatly in the 1960s after the new enterprises had been built and high quality products and consumer goods made by the Locomotive Plant, Textile Factory, Automobile Assembly Plant, Horizon Plant for Production of Mine-Rescue Equipment, the Plant for Production of Orthopedic Goods.


In the 1960-70s new industrial capacities were put in: new buildings for clothing factory, a milk plant, a number of shops for steam-locomotive-building and automobile assembly plant and a knitting factory, which helped to increase the production of mainline diesel locomotives, automobile trailers and consumer goods.


The biography of the work collective of the knitting factory began in 1970. Within a short time it did not only reach rated capacity, but was a winner in All-Union socialistic competition and it was awarded with “Sign of Honour” Order. At first its spacious light shops were rated for production of 17 million items of underwear a year, but in mid-1980s the enterprise produced 32 million items annually, and a half of them were produced with “N” (new) index.


Of great importance for further industrial development of the district and the town was building of a thermal power station in Shchastya on the Siversky Donets River. Its construction began in 1952. Yet in 1957 there were 8 turbo generators with the capacity of 100 thousand kilowatt installed at the thermal power station. Nowadays the capacity of Voroshilovgrad Hydroelectric Power Station has reached 2300 thousand kilowatt, and it has become one of the largest thermal power stations in the country.


At the same time building of a settlement for power men was started, the foundation of which was laid by Donetska and Respublikanska streets. Creation of enterprises for commerce, customer services, as well as schools and preschool establishments was started. In 1953 a professional technical school # 50 specializing in preparation of specialists for power-producing industry. Technical schools # 96 and # 105 which started to prepare cadres for building industry were opened. In 1957 a hospital was opened and next year a policlinic for 120 beds was opened. The House for Young Pioneers, a musical school, a children’s library and a center for culture were built for the citizens of Shchastya.


According to decision of the Executive Committee of Luhansk oblast Deputy Soviet of Workers, on 4 January 1963 Shchastya settlement soviet was included in Oktyabrsky district Soviet of People’s Deputies, which was referred to the category of towns of district subordination.


With growth of industrial production volume the district was growing as well. At the end of 1962 the building of the biggest residential community in the eastern part of the district for 120 thousand people began, the foundation was laid by Molodyozhny, Vatutin, Zhukov, Solnechny blocks. New educational establishments: school # 43 (1962), school # 6 (1964), school # 10 (1964), school # 36 (1966), school # 40 (1966) and others were opened.


The newly opened technical schools for industry and economy (1968) and public catering (1966) started to prepare specialists of middle level. More than 1,5 thousand of young people annually got different professions at vocational schools of the district.


In these years health care level of the district had increased greatly. The town hospitals # 5 and # 6, policlinic # 10, children’s hospital #3, a maternity hospital, a children’s stomatological policlinic, town stomatological policlinic # 3 were built and started to give service to their patients.


Nowadays 28 industrial enterprises, 31 building subdivisions, 7 transport organisations, 7 trading complexes, 175 food and manufactured goods shops, more than 175 thousand small-scale business and customer service enterprises, 14 post-offices, 19 secondary schools, 13 clubs, 1 higher educational establishment of III-IV accreditation level, 9 higher educational establishments of I-II accreditation level, 3 scientific and research, and design institutes, 15 banking institutions, 11 libraries, and 3 musical schools. The district facilities is growing and expanding with each year.


In spite of today’s difficulties in economic development of the enterprises of all forms of property, banking sphere and business, Zhovtnevy district is fixing upon the future. The District Council and its Executive Committee are willing to make the district even better planned and the life of the citizens happier and better.


© 2006 - 2012, Луганский городской совет
91055, г. Луганск, ул. Коцюбинского, 14 ,
тел.: 58-13-34, факс (642) 55-12-37,
эл. адрес :